Popular Posts

Sunday 29 December 2013

Culture in multiculture


 

 

Today I had a very different experience and want to write about it.
I went to a church today with a friend - to be part of the Sunday mass.
I have experienced a different side of Izmir. I had never before in my life noticed the existence of the church nor thought about making a visit - ever.
Even if I knew there was a church I wouldn't have known that so many people go there.
How beautiful is it that in a 99% Muslim country,  the Christian community finds itself a home in Turkey?!
What was very Turkish though were the songs played with Turkish instruments and the lyrics of all songs in Turkish. It was almost like a concert.
Today a veil definitely has been lifted off of my face to realize a multicultural side of Izmir. And this is why I love Izmir.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment